Updated 5th February 2019
This Privacy Notice explains in detail the types of personal data we may collect about you when you interact with us. It also explains how we’ll store and handle that data, and keep it safe.
We know that there’s a lot of information here, but we want you to be fully informed about your rights, and how ERA uses your data.
We hope the following sections will answer any questions you have but if not, please do get in touch with us.
It’s likely that we’ll need to update this Privacy Notice from time to time. We’ll notify you of any significant changes, but you’re welcome to come back and check it whenever you wish.
The law on data protection sets out a number of different reasons for which a company may collect and process your personal data, including:
In specific situations, we can collect and process your data with your consent.
For example, when you tick a box to receive email newsletters.
When collecting your personal data, we’ll always make clear to you what categories of products you are opting in to receive information about and how you want to be contacted.
In certain circumstances, we need your personal data to comply with our contractual obligations.
For example, if you order an item from us, we’ll collect your address details to deliver your purchase, and pass them to our courier.
If you have a credit account with us and an established price list, we may also need to use your contact details to alert you of any changes to your agreed contractual pricing.
If the law requires us to, we may need to collect and process your data.
For example, we can pass on details of people involved in fraud or other criminal activity affecting the Partnership to law enforcement.
In specific situations, we require your data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way which might reasonably be expected as part of running our business and which does not materially impact your rights, freedom or interests. For example, we will use your purchase history to send you or make available personalised offers.
We also combine the shopping history of many customers to identify trends and ensure we can keep
up with demand, or develop new products/services.
which might reasonably be expected as part of running our business and which does not materially impact your rights, freedom or interests. For example, we will use your purchase history to send you or make available personalised offers.
We also combine the shopping history of many customers to identify trends and ensure we can keep
up with demand, or develop new products/services.
We will also use your address details to send you direct marketing information by post or email, telling you about products and services that we think might interest you.
When might we collect your personal data?
- When you visit any of our websites, and use your account to buy products and services
- When you make an online purchase and check out by credit card (in which case we just collect transaction-based data).
- When you register for an account with us.
- When you purchase a product or service in store or by phone but don’t have (or don’t use) an account.
- When you engage with us on social media.
- When you download or install one of our apps.
- When you contact us by any means with queries, complaints etc.
- When you enter prize draws or competitions.
- When you book any kind of appointment with us.
- When we see you at an exhibition or show and you have shown an interest in our products
- When you choose to complete any surveys we send you.
- When you comment on or review our products and services.
- When you’ve given a third party permission to share with us the information they hold about you.
- We may collect data from publicly-available sources (such as Land Registry) when you have given your consent to share information or where the information is made public as a matter of law.
What sort of personal data do we collect?
- If you have a web account with us: your name, invoicing &delivery address, orders and receipts, email and telephone number. For your security, we do not keep any record of your password but in the event you lose it, you can request for it to be reset.
- Your email address from any of our app sign ups with your opt in/out preference
- Details of your shopping history
- Details of your visits to our websites and which site you came from to ours
- To deliver the best possible web experience, we collect technical information about your internet connection and browser as well as the country and telephone code where your computer is located, the web pages viewed during your visit, the advertisements you clicked on, and any search terms you entered.
- Your social media username, if you interact with us through those channels, to help us respond to your comments, questions or feedback.
- Your address and contact details in relation to our Find an Installer Scheme
How and why do we use your personal data?
It is important to ERA that we give you the best possible customer experience and only contact you about relevant products or services we feel you may be interested in. We use data collected to offer you promotions, products and services that are most likely to interest you.
The data privacy law allows this as part of our legitimate interest in understanding our customers and providing the highest levels of service.
You can choose to change your preferences in how we contact you and what information we hold – see more in ‘What are my rights?’ section below.
Remember, it is important to consider whether you truly want to opt out completely as doing so may mean we cannot provide all of the services or information you have asked for. Changing preferences is often a better way to manage contact, rather than opting out altogether. For example, if you’ve asked us to let you know when an item comes back into stock, we can’t do that if you’ve withdrawn your general consent to hear from us.
Here’s how we’ll use your personal data and why:
• To process any orders that you make by using our websites. If we don’t collect your personal data during checkout, we won’t be able to process your order and comply with our legal obligations.
For example, your details may need to be passed to a third party to supply or deliver the product or service that you ordered, and we may keep your details for a reasonable period afterwards in order to fulfil any contractual obligations such as refunds, guarantees and so on.
• To respond to your queries, refund requests and complaints. Handling your information enables us to respond. We may also keep a record of these to inform any future communication with us and to demonstrate how we communicated with you throughout. We do this on the basis of our contractual obligations to you, our legal obligations and our legitimate interests in providing you with the best service and understanding how we can improve our service based on your experience.
• To protect our business and your account from fraud and other illegal activities. This includes using your personal data to maintain, update and safeguard your account. We’ll also monitor your browsing activity with us to quickly identify and resolve any problems and protect the integrity of our websites. We’ll do all of this as part of our legitimate interest.
For example, by checking your password when you login and using automated monitoring of IP addresses to identify possible fraudulent log-ins from unexpected locations.
• To process payments and to prevent fraudulent transactions. We do this on the basis of our legitimate business interests. This also helps to protect our customers from fraud.
• With your consent, we will use your personal data, preferences and details of your transactions to keep you informed by email, web, text, post or telephone about relevant products and services including tailored special offers, discounts, promotions, events, competitions and so on.
Of course, you are free to opt out of hearing from us by any of these channels at any time.
• To send you relevant, personalised communications by post in relation to updates, offers, services and products. We’ll do this on the basis of our legitimate business interest.
You are free to opt out of hearing from us by post at any time.
• To send you communications required by law or which are necessary to inform you about our changes to the services we provide you. For example, updates to this Privacy Notice, product recall notices, and legally required information relating to your orders. These service messages will not include any promotional content and do not require prior consent when sent by email or text message. If we do not use your personal data for these purposes, we would be unable to comply with our legal obligations.
• To administer any of our prize draws or competitions which you enter, based on your consent given at the time of entering.
• To develop, test and improve the systems, services and products we provide to you. We’ll do this on the basis of our legitimate business interests.
For example, we’ll record your browser’s Session ID to help us understand more when you leave us online feedback about any problems you’re having
• To comply with our contractual or legal obligations to share data with law enforcement.
• To send you survey and feedback requests to help improve our services. These messages will not include any promotional content and do not require prior consent when sent by email or text message. We have a legitimate interest to do so as this helps make our products or services more relevant to you.
Of course, you are free to opt out of receiving these requests from us at any time by updating your preferences which are accessible at the bottom of every marketing email or contacting us on: firstname.lastname@example.org and requesting to be removed.
• To process your booking/appointment requests (for example with an installer). Sometimes, we’ll need to share your details with a third party who is providing a service (such as delivery couriers or a fitter visiting your home). We do so to maintain our appointment with you. Without sharing your personal data, we’d be unable to fulfil your request.
• To pass your details to the relevant ERA Installer – if you have opted for us to pass your details to them for them to contact you – or for us to contact you to check that your installer visit was successful and satisfactory, or to discuss any negative feedback you may have left on the schemes ‘rate me’ page.
How we protect your personal data?
We know how much data security matters to all our customers. With this in mind we will treat your data with the utmost care and take all appropriate steps to protect it.
We secure access to all transactional areas of our websites and apps.
Access to your personal data is password-protected, and sensitive data (such as payment card information) is secured by encryption.
We regularly monitor our system for possible vulnerabilities and attacks, and we carry out penetration testing to identify ways to further strengthen security.
Suppliers who receive your data from us for processing purposes, such as delivery companies, are also GDPR reviewed periodically to ensure their data is maintained appropriately under the same, strict access and storage conditions.
How long will we keep your personal data?
Whenever we collect or process your personal data, we’ll only keep it for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected.
At the end of that retention period, your data will either be deleted completely or anonymised, for example by aggregation with other data so that it can be used in a non-identifiable way for statistical analysis and business planning.
Some examples of customer data retention periods:
When you place an order, we’ll keep the personal data you give us for six years so we can comply with our legal and contractual obligations. In the case of certain products, such as British Standard Nightlatches where they have a 10yr Guarantee, we’ll keep the data for 10 years.
If your order included a warranty, the associated personal data will be kept until the end of the warranty period.
For marketing purposes, your information will be maintained for 3 years following inactivity, or for as long as you are an active customer, or have opted in via preferences to continue receiving information.
Who do we share your personal data with?
We sometimes share your personal data with trusted third parties.
For example, delivery couriers, engineers visiting your home, for fraud management, or to handle complaints.
Here’s the policy we apply to those organisations to keep your data safe and protect your privacy:
• We provide only the information they need to perform their specific services.
• They may only use your data for the exact purposes we specify in our contract with them.
• We work closely with them to ensure that your privacy is respected and protected at all times.
• If we stop using their services, any of your data held by them will either be deleted or rendered anonymous.
• We have reviewed all GDPR policies to ensure their practices in storage and access of data are acceptable.
Examples of the kind of third parties we work with are:
• IT companies who support our website and other business systems.
• Operational companies such as delivery couriers.
• Direct marketing companies who help us manage our electronic communications with you.
• For fraud management, we may share information about fraudulent or potentially fraudulent activity in our premises or systems. This may include sharing data about individuals with law enforcement bodies including Trading Standards where feedback relevant to a specific ERA Installer has been shared.
For further information please contact our Data Protection Officer at email@example.com
Where your personal data may be processed.
When transacting through our websites, by email or by telephone, your data is transacted and stored in the EU according to legislation. Any external suppliers are fully compliant with GDPR and internal systems are fully secure and protected.
Any transfer of your personal data will follow applicable laws and we will treat the information under the guiding principles of this Privacy Notice.
What are your rights over your personal data?
An Overview of your rights.
You have the right to request:
• Access to the personal data we hold about you, free of charge in most cases.
• The correction of your personal data when incorrect, out of date or incomplete.
• For example, when you withdraw consent, or object and we have no legitimate overriding interest, or once the purpose for which we hold the data has come to an end (such as the end of a warranty).
• That we stop using your personal data for direct marketing (either through specific channels, or all channels).
• That we stop any consent-based processing of your personal data after you withdraw that consent.
• Review by a Partner of any decision made based solely on automatic processing of your data (i.e. where no human has yet reviewed the outcome and criteria for the decision).
You have the right to request a copy of any information about you we hold at any time, and also to have that information corrected if it is inaccurate. To ask for your information, please contact Data Protection Officer, ERA, Valiant Way, Wolverhampton, WV9 5GB.
To ask for your personal information to be amended such as your name, or telephone number, please contact our Customer Services team or email firstname.lastname@example.org
To change your contact preferences for marketing emails, please click on the preferences link at the bottom of a previous email we have sent you and change the settings to your requirement, or email us on email@example.com
If we choose not to action your request we will explain to you the reasons for our refusal.
Your right to withdraw consent
Whenever you have given us your consent to use your personal data, you have the right to change your mind at any time and withdraw that consent.
In cases where we are processing your personal data on the basis of our legitimate interest, you can ask us to stop for reasons connected to your individual situation. We must then do so unless we believe we have a legitimate overriding reason to continue processing your personal data.
You have the right to stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing activity through all channels, or selected channels. We must always comply with your request.
Checking your identity
To protect the confidentiality of your information, we will ask you to verify your identity before proceeding with any request you make under this Privacy Notice. If you have authorised a third party to submit a request on your behalf, we will ask them to prove they have your permission to act.
How can you stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing?
There are several ways you can stop direct marketing communications from us:
• Click the ‘unsubscribe’ link in any email communication that we send you. We will then stop any further emails from that particular division.
• In our apps, you can manage your preferences and opt out from one or all of the different push notifications by selecting or deselecting the relevant options when you register. Should you wish to opt out from contact, please unsubscribe in any emails you receive from us.
• Write to our Marketing Department at ERA, Valiant Way, Wolverhampton, WV9 5GB or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that you may continue to receive communications for a short period after changing your preferences while our systems are fully updated.
We hope this Privacy Notice has been helpful in setting out the way we handle your personal data and your rights to control it. If you have any questions that haven’t been covered, please contact our Data Protection Officer who will be pleased to help you:
• Email us at email@example.com
• Or write to us at Data Protection Officer, ERA, Valiant Way, Wolverhampton, WV9 5GB.
This notice was last updated on 5th February 2019.
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer by websites that you visit. They are widely used in order to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide information to the owners of the site.
This website uses the following cookies:
|PHPSESSID||PHPSESSID||This site uses PHP session cookies to help you to navigate this site. These cookies expire once you shut the browser window or end the browser session|
*These cookies are provided by a third party who could change their cookies in future outside of our control. We will review this policy regularly for any such changes.
Controlling cookies within your browser
Most web browsers allow some control of most cookies through the browser settings. To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
How to change your cookie settings in Firefox
- Internet Explorer
How to change your cookie settings in Internet Explorer
- Google Chrome
How to change your cookie settings in Google Chrome
- Safari (OS X)
How to change your cookie settings in Safari (OS X)
- Safari (iOS)
How to change your cookie settings in Safari (iOS)
How to change your cookie settings in Android
ERA wants to make our websites easy for you to navigate and our products easy for you to use. We are constantly improving the ERA websites and ERA Products to make them more user-friendly.
What Information is collected?
We collect the following personal and device information when visiting any of our site or using our products:
Personal & Account Information
- Information you provide during device setup, such as your name, email address, phone number, the location of each device, and the number of people in your home.
- If you are invited to create an account from the owner of an ERA product, we will collect your name and email address from that ERA user who invited you. Your phone number and other account details will be obtained directly from you during the setup process, if you accept the invitation.
- Unique identifiers such as your user name and password.
- If audio and/or video is collected through the device, this data is stored securely on our servers to ensure you can access it and playback footage.
- Environmental data from ERA’s sensors, such as motion, air quality, humidity, temperature, and ambient light.
- Device Information, such as model and serial number, physical network information (including IP address), device activity logs, and historic and current device configuration.
- Information about your mobile device such as your mobile device ID (which is like a website IP address), device type, operating system, and mobile service carrier as well as your location.
How Do We Use Your Information?
We collect the information identified above and use it for the following purposes:
- Provide you with services and improve the ERA Product functionality as well as the user experience.
- To fulfil orders and process payments for the sale of products or services from our site.
- Administer your account and back-up your data.
- Record log entries for your information and troubleshooting issues with your device.
- Send you notifications via the ERA HOMEGUARD app. (You can manage your notification preferences within the mobile app menu.)
- Send you marketing communications, where permitted by applicable law.
- To conduct research and analysis to better understand how users access and use our site and products, both on an aggregated and individualised basis, to improve our site, our products, create new features, provide you new offerings, respond to user preferences, and to protect your data.
- Respond to your questions and concerns and provide customer support.
How Do We Share Your Information?
We will share certain categories of your information with third parties only in certain circumstances as described below:
Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is information that contains data that could be used to directly or indirectly identify you, like your name or email address. We only share this information under extremely limited circumstances. Primarily, this information is shared with third parties to provide you necessary services or to operate your ERA device(s). For example, this information is shared on a limited basis to assist in managing the computers that store your personal and device information and for third parties that assist us in providing you with customer support. These third parties are authorised to use your personal information only as necessary to provide these services to us.
Specifically, we may share this information as follows:
- Affiliates. We may disclose the information we collect from you to our affiliates and subsidiaries that provide services or conduct data processing on our behalf, or for data centralisation and/or logistics purposes. If we do so, their use and disclosure of your personal information will be subject to this policy.
- Service Providers. We may disclose the information we collect from you to third-party vendors, service providers, data storage facilities, contractors or agents who perform functions on our behalf (e.g. with vendors that help us with delivering products to you, vendors that help us maintain our site, or analytic providers).
- In response to Legal process. We also may disclose the information we collect from you to comply with the law, a judicial proceeding, court order, or other legal process, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena. To the extent legally allowed, we will notify you of such requests prior to disclosing any information sought.
- To protect us and others. We also may disclose the information we collect from you where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person or violations of our terms of service or this policy.
We may share your aggregated and de-identified information, which is anonymised and does not identify you. We may use this information in a variety of ways, including to publish trends about energy use or home security, and to generally improve our offerings. We may also share this anonymised information with third parties for marketing, research, or similar purposes.
Information we share with your consent
We may share personally identifiable information with third parties provided we have received your consent to share that information. For example, you may opt to share certain information so it can be posted on your social media accounts like Facebook or Twitter, you may link your ERA account with another app, product or service, or you may opt into providing information to ERA’s business partners to receive special offers. Information will never be shared for these purposes without your consent. Audio or video information is never shared with any third party for business or for marketing purposes.
Information Obtained from Third Parties
If you provide personal information about others or if others provide us with your information, we will only use that information for the specific reason for which it was intended for.
Cookies, Web Beacons and Other Web Tools
We use automatic data collection tools like cookies, embedded web links and widgets (collectively, "web tools"). These web tools collect certain information that your browser or your mobile device sends to ERA websites and ERA Products, such as a computer’s IP address, browser type and service provider. In addition, ERA uses small pieces of code called web beacons, web beacons allow a website to transfer or collect information through a graphic image request. This allows ERA to collect information such as the address of the page you are visiting, the address of the referring page you previously visited, what browser or mobile device you are using and your display settings. ERA and its partners use web beacons, for example, to find out if advertising on ERA websites as well as other that contain ERA ads are effective, or if certain videos on the ERA websites or social media accounts are being viewed.
ERA may use web tools for the following purposes:
- To identify the user's country and language to distinguish you from other users that visit the ERA websites.
- To save your registration information for future use on ERA websites and services.
- To allow customer surveys to appear or not appear to customers.
- To optimize your browsing experience by preloading certain features of ERA websites and services on future visits to make loading times faster and more efficient.
- To understand how you use and interact with ERA websites and services.
- To customize and provide you with a more personal experience when visiting ERA websites, our advertising partners' websites or when using ERA Products.
- To improve ERA websites and services in general.
- To count visitors to ERA websites, social media accounts and products, and analyze website traffic, such as how many visitors have come to the ERA websites and/or social media accounts from advertisements or via advertising partner websites.
You have the following choices regarding ERA's use of web tools:
You may refuse to accept cookies by activating the appropriate setting on your browser or mobile device. However, many features of ERA websites and ERA Products may not work as intended if you disable cookies. Areas that require registration, authentication and store transactions on the ERA website will not be accessible.
We strive to maintain reasonable administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the information collected by ERA websites and products. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not 100% secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its security; any transmission is at your own risk.
It is important to note that if you use a computer or device that can be accessed by others, other people may be able to access unencrypted personal information. If you do not want your information to be available to others, exercise caution when using public computers or devices or when using any computer or device to which users unauthorized by you may have access.
We recommend that you take every precaution in protecting your personal information when you are on the Internet. For example, change your passwords often, use a combination of letters, numbers and symbols when creating passwords and make sure you use a secure browser. You should also be aware that names that you give your Wi-Fi-enabled devices, home networks and services (also known as "friendly names") may be detectable by others outside your home, so you should not use personal information as part of your friendly names.
Updates and Upgrades
ERA Products may be updated or upgraded from time to time to provide additional features, address technical issues, and generally make your user experience better. Some ERA products may include an auto-update feature, which gives us the ability to make updates automatically. You can change auto-update options by changing your settings within the ERA Product account information where applicable. In very limited cases, updates may still be automatically applied, regardless of the auto-update setting. For example, we may provide an automatic update that prevents or fixes a security vulnerability or breach to your network.
Third Party and Social Media Linked Sites
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes
if you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. A small fee will be payable. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to ERA, Valiant Way, Wolverhampton WV9 5GB.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
Subscribe to ERA news
Keep up to date with the latest home security news, products and updates with the ERA home Security newsletter.