Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer by websites that you visit. They are widely used in order to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide information to the owners of the site.
This website uses the following cookies:
|PHPSESSID||PHPSESSID||This site uses PHP session cookies to help you to navigate this site. These cookies expire once you shut the browser window or end the browser session|
*These cookies are provided by a third party who could change their cookies in future outside of our control. We will review this policy regularly for any such changes.
Controlling cookies within your browser
Most web browsers allow some control of most cookies through the browser settings. To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
How to change your cookie settings in Firefox
- Internet Explorer
How to change your cookie settings in Internet Explorer
- Google Chrome
How to change your cookie settings in Google Chrome
- Safari (OS X)
How to change your cookie settings in Safari (OS X)
- Safari (iOS)
How to change your cookie settings in Safari (iOS)
How to change your cookie settings in Android
ERA wants to make our websites easy for you to navigate and our products easy for you to use. We are constantly improving the ERA websites and ERA Products to make them more user-friendly.
What Information is collected?
We collect the following personal and device information when visiting any of our site or using our products:
Personal & Account Information
- Information you provide during device setup, such as your name, email address, phone number, the location of each device, and the number of people in your home.
- If you are invited to create an account from the owner of an ERA product, we will collect your name and email address from that ERA user who invited you. Your phone number and other account details will be obtained directly from you during the setup process, if you accept the invitation.
- Unique identifiers such as your user name and password.
- If audio and/or video is collected through the device, this data is stored securely on our servers to ensure you can access it and playback footage.
- Environmental data from ERA’s sensors, such as motion, air quality, humidity, temperature, and ambient light.
- Device Information, such as model and serial number, physical network information (including IP address), device activity logs, and historic and current device configuration.
- Information about your mobile device such as your mobile device ID (which is like a website IP address), device type, operating system, and mobile service carrier as well as your location.
How Do We Use Your Information?
We collect the information identified above and use it for the following purposes:
- Provide you with services and improve the ERA Product functionality as well as the user experience.
- To fulfil orders and process payments for the sale of products or services from our site.
- Administer your account and back-up your data.
- Record log entries for your information and troubleshooting issues with your device.
- Send you notifications via the ERA HOMEGUARD app. (You can manage your notification preferences within the mobile app menu.)
- Send you marketing communications, where permitted by applicable law.
- To conduct research and analysis to better understand how users access and use our site and products, both on an aggregated and individualised basis, to improve our site, our products, create new features, provide you new offerings, respond to user preferences, and to protect your data.
- Respond to your questions and concerns and provide customer support.
How Do We Share Your Information?
We will share certain categories of your information with third parties only in certain circumstances as described below:
Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is information that contains data that could be used to directly or indirectly identify you, like your name or email address. We only share this information under extremely limited circumstances. Primarily, this information is shared with third parties to provide you necessary services or to operate your ERA device(s). For example, this information is shared on a limited basis to assist in managing the computers that store your personal and device information and for third parties that assist us in providing you with customer support. These third parties are authorised to use your personal information only as necessary to provide these services to us.
Specifically, we may share this information as follows:
- Affiliates. We may disclose the information we collect from you to our affiliates and subsidiaries that provide services or conduct data processing on our behalf, or for data centralisation and/or logistics purposes. If we do so, their use and disclosure of your personal information will be subject to this policy.
- Service Providers. We may disclose the information we collect from you to third-party vendors, service providers, data storage facilities, contractors or agents who perform functions on our behalf (e.g. with vendors that help us with delivering products to you, vendors that help us maintain our site, or analytic providers).
- In response to Legal process. We also may disclose the information we collect from you to comply with the law, a judicial proceeding, court order, or other legal process, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena. To the extent legally allowed, we will notify you of such requests prior to disclosing any information sought.
- To protect us and others. We also may disclose the information we collect from you where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person or violations of our terms of service or this policy.
We may share your aggregated and de-identified information, which is anonymised and does not identify you. We may use this information in a variety of ways, including to publish trends about energy use or home security, and to generally improve our offerings. We may also share this anonymised information with third parties for marketing, research, or similar purposes.
Information we share with your consent
We may share personally identifiable information with third parties provided we have received your consent to share that information. For example, you may opt to share certain information so it can be posted on your social media accounts like Facebook or Twitter, you may link your ERA account with another app, product or service, or you may opt into providing information to ERA’s business partners to receive special offers. Information will never be shared for these purposes without your consent. Audio or video information is never shared with any third party for business or for marketing purposes.
Information Obtained from Third Parties
If you provide personal information about others or if others provide us with your information, we will only use that information for the specific reason for which it was intended for.
Cookies, Web Beacons and Other Web Tools
We use automatic data collection tools like cookies, embedded web links and widgets (collectively, "web tools"). These web tools collect certain information that your browser or your mobile device sends to ERA websites and ERA Products, such as a computer’s IP address, browser type and service provider. In addition, ERA uses small pieces of code called web beacons, web beacons allow a website to transfer or collect information through a graphic image request. This allows ERA to collect information such as the address of the page you are visiting, the address of the referring page you previously visited, what browser or mobile device you are using and your display settings. ERA and its partners use web beacons, for example, to find out if advertising on ERA websites as well as other that contain ERA ads are effective, or if certain videos on the ERA websites or social media accounts are being viewed.
ERA may use web tools for the following purposes:
- To identify the user's country and language to distinguish you from other users that visit the ERA websites.
- To save your registration information for future use on ERA websites and services.
- To allow customer surveys to appear or not appear to customers.
- To optimize your browsing experience by preloading certain features of ERA websites and services on future visits to make loading times faster and more efficient.
- To understand how you use and interact with ERA websites and services.
- To customize and provide you with a more personal experience when visiting ERA websites, our advertising partners' websites or when using ERA Products.
- To improve ERA websites and services in general.
- To count visitors to ERA websites, social media accounts and products, and analyze website traffic, such as how many visitors have come to the ERA websites and/or social media accounts from advertisements or via advertising partner websites.
You have the following choices regarding ERA's use of web tools:
You may refuse to accept cookies by activating the appropriate setting on your browser or mobile device. However, many features of ERA websites and ERA Products may not work as intended if you disable cookies. Areas that require registration, authentication and store transactions on the ERA website will not be accessible.
We strive to maintain reasonable administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the information collected by ERA websites and products. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not 100% secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its security; any transmission is at your own risk.
It is important to note that if you use a computer or device that can be accessed by others, other people may be able to access unencrypted personal information. If you do not want your information to be available to others, exercise caution when using public computers or devices or when using any computer or device to which users unauthorized by you may have access.
We recommend that you take every precaution in protecting your personal information when you are on the Internet. For example, change your passwords often, use a combination of letters, numbers and symbols when creating passwords and make sure you use a secure browser. You should also be aware that names that you give your Wi-Fi-enabled devices, home networks and services (also known as "friendly names") may be detectable by others outside your home, so you should not use personal information as part of your friendly names.
Updates and Upgrades
ERA Products may be updated or upgraded from time to time to provide additional features, address technical issues, and generally make your user experience better. Some ERA products may include an auto-update feature, which gives us the ability to make updates automatically. You can change auto-update options by changing your settings within the ERA Product account information where applicable. In very limited cases, updates may still be automatically applied, regardless of the auto-update setting. For example, we may provide an automatic update that prevents or fixes a security vulnerability or breach to your network.
Third Party and Social Media Linked Sites
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes
if you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. A small fee will be payable. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to ERA, Valiant Way, Wolverhampton WV9 5GB.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
Updated August 25, 2017.
ERA quick links
- FREE Home Security Survey
- ERA Total Security
- Security Advice
- Ask an ERA Expert
- ERA Blog
- Register your ERA Professional Cylinder Keys
Subscribe to ERA news
Keep up to date with the latest home security news, products and updates with the ERA home Security newsletter.